Saturday, January 17, 2015

Today was an extra special day.....

Jan. 17th:
 
Today was an extra special day....as I mentioned we always try to bring a small gift (like balloons, candies or soccer balls)  but today we handed out pillowcases  (stuffed with toothbrushes, toothpaste & little hairbands, etc..). Generous people from my workplace donated a ton of pillowcases, along with the toothbrushes & toothpaste.  They also provided items like hairbands & school supplies that are such a luxury here.  Today we also brought ragdolls and dinky cars for every child (10months & up).  All I can say is that it was awesome!!!  I had such a hard time containing my emotions.  We also had enough pillowcases for the girls that work at the orphanage. I have never seen anyone get so excited over a toothbrush & a simple dollarstore hairband.  Talk about putting things into perspective. I just pray that over time I don't start to forget this when I return home to my over abundant lifestyle.  
 


The joy on these children's faces was overwhelming. A few little boys just ran up and down this concrete ramp, sending their cars racing down, over and over again.  When we first arrived (5 days ago) they had no toys in sight except for the odd lego block.  Chloe and I tried to play with them but there was nothing to do except for cuddle, sing or play patty-cake.....after awhile that gets old. These children had nothing to do during their waking hours aside from climb all over each other or sit in their chairs.  I tried to explain to the nun that the children need things to play & interact with for proper emotional & neurological development AND that they need toys.  She agreed but her face didn't look convinced. The worker girls definitely try to talk & interact with them briefly but for the most part  their thoughts are that children are cared for by providing food & clothes & that's it. From what I can see in their culture, infants are carried on their mother's back most of the day while the mother works and then he/she is put down to sleep...play time and interaction is not required or vital.  I hope this experience changes their thinking?!?!

 
 
 
Chloe has been amazing in helping out with whatever is needed.  She knows the routine, so if I'm helping out bottle feeding the infants, she's helping with feeding the toddlers or getting them ready for their naps. We usually need a shower and definitely need to change our clothes when we get back to our hotel.  We our covered with baby food and everything else I don't care to discuss.  We have never used so much hand sanitizer....lol.  Despite it all, Chloe's already mentioning how hard it is going to be to say good bye....I agree!
 
 
After the orphanage, we went to town to the grocery store to buy bottled water.  We are cautious to even brush our teeth with tap water, let alone drink it.  The hotel charges 4x the price for bottled water so we stalk up at the grocery every few days. I haven't had a chocolate bar in almost a week and for those who know me....that's just crazy!  Even still, I could not bring myself to purchase a SMALL Tobblerone for $7USD! They were also selling a small container of Ferro Rocher for $30USD...insane! Although the amazing fruit makes up for it. We daily get papaya, huge slice of pineapple and mango with our eggs & croissant every morning. We will be so spoiled by the time we get home to Canada. 
 
The taxi driver was also kind enough to buy us our bus passes back to Kigali on Tuesday morning.  Chloe hasn't been to shaken up with most things but the bus station in both Kigali & Bujumbura was very overwhelming.  A massive amount of people everywhere staring, holding out their hands begging or just trying to sell you stuff everywhere you turn.  We're trying to stay to together while holding onto our bags & backpacks without getting robbed....pretty crazy!  Although, God has always placed someone amazing in our path. On the way to Bujumbura, the only person who spoke understanble English on the bus sat right in front of us and ended up being our "tour guide".  This fellow Straton worked for the University of Rwanda in agro-economics and was explaining the villages, the crops they grow,etc....it was amazing!  He also helped us immensely at the border (which I might add was very intimidating) with the language barrier & corruption.  The immigration officer (known to be very corrupt) wanted to detain us until we provided a "gift".  In other words, he was wanting money.  I ended up paying him $10USD in order for him to let us through, which is nothing really, but how they abuse their power made me quite upset. Either way, Straton was there to guide us and I was very grateful for that!  
 
 
 

 








 

 





 

 

 

 


 






 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment