I'm so disappointed I can't blog bc of the computer charger (won't work with adaptor) and then the Internet connection totally stinks here, so even using my iPhone is so frustrating.
Everyday has been busy. Chloe has definitely had her eyes opened to a third world country. Burundi is so underdeveloped compared to Rwanda and looks worse than Rwanda did way back 6 yrs ago.
Going to the orphanage was overwhelming.... all these children crying & hugging you wanting you to pick them up. Nothing belongs to any individual. They share everything...clothes, food, being fed out of the same spoon ..everything! They are changed 3-4 times a day bc of pee or pooping themselves or bc they made a mess eating.... which almost always happens (the 100+ cloth diapers we gave to them were so well received and needed). It's an assembly line... wash up, change, grease up then off they go. Amongst all the sad things was the lack of toys. They had NOTHING to play with besides themselves... even there play ground was broken up... a broken merry-go-round, broken swings, only slides & one was too dangerous for such young children.
I only see 2 main nuns participate, the rest are teenage girls (approx 18)... they live & sleep there in return for working with the kids. They take good care of their BASIC needs but that's it... they never play with them but they also have a lot of responsibility for so many children. As you can see...they loved some simple balloons.
Chloe was so great with the children but seemed overwhelmed sometimes, understandably, bc they would be all over her.
I don't miss the -20 weather ... I really don't.
Kelly & Chloe

Wow! No toys at all! So hard to fathom! As overwhelming as it must be, I imagine it will be even more difficult to leave them! Praying for you both
ReplyDeleteI echo Lynne's comment.....really reminds me that I live in a country of MUCH. Thankful for your presence there and the difference your journey is making both there and here!
ReplyDelete